Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Job Hunter

Interactive Media position
Junior to mid-level web designer
Digital/creative qualification
http://www.graduatesyorkshire.co.uk/job/32285/vacancy/?_ts=27344
Harrogate, North Yorkshire

Why I want the job
I see this as an excellent opportunity to join an exciting company working on some really important accounts. Looking on your website it is encouraging to see that your company has done projects for some huge companies such as Bella Italia and Twinings. I have also been extremely impressed with the approach that you take towards web design with “customer needs at the centre of things”.

Greatest strength
I feel that my biggest strength is being able to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines. From the experience that I have had from my previous job and also the last few years in education I have been faced with many deadlines and have not missed one. I feel that I strive under pressure and find that it is easy to motivate yourself for the task in hand if you have got something to aim for.

Greatest weakness
I feel that my greatest weakness is that I tend to spend quite a lot of time trying to improve work that I have done when it is already to a suitable standard. I have often found myself spending several hours on something that should only really take an hour or so. I feel however that this is due to being in a college environment for the last few years and having the opportunity to experiment with different ideas. I fully understand however that moving into the workplace I will not have this time to experiment with ideas so will need to be prepared to work to much stricter timescales.

Doing in 5 years time
In 5 years time I see myself working in a successful design company working on large projects. I would ideally have been working with the same company for several years and gained at least one promotion. I will have gained quite a large portfolio of work and worked on some really exciting projects along the way.

Current innovation that excites me most
The innovation of CSS level 3 excites me the most as this would give designers greater creativity in their designs. Having originally worked with tables and cells I feel that working with CSS gives designers much more flexibility in their designs and can lead to some really effective designs.

Hero/heroin and why
My hero is Dan Cederholm. I have been a huge fan of his since I read the book Web Standards Solutions. I feel that he was a huge help when starting to learn CSS and he helped make quite complex features seem more understandable.

2 comments:

Chris Towell said...

Attention to detail is a curse that we designers develop over time. I know what you mean when you say that you spend an awful lot of time on a design. At least you know where to stop and can identify the line between tweeking and over tweeking. Keep up the good work.

Julian Dyer said...

I don’t think that attention to detail is a ‘curse’, Chris. It is an essential skill, both for the course and employability. On the course, it can stop you from referring because you haven’t done something correctly. In the industry, it stops you from having to go back and fix things which you should have done right the first time.

No attention to detail, no job prospects – it’s as simple as that.